We have been playing a lot of Video Games over the last few months and have therefore created a list of the Top Games of 2020! – Here are the Best Games 2020
- Persona 5 Royal initially released in Japan as Persona 5: The Royal, and is an enhanced version of the game for PS4, similar to Persona 4 Golden before it. This version features an additional Phantom Thief member named Kasumi Yoshizawa, a new Palace, new music, additional plot and social elements, a playable third semester, and support for the PS4 Pro, alongside many other changes and additions. Atlus has first teased the game as Persona 5 R in December 2018, with its full reveal in April 2019. In Japan, Atlus released this title on October 31st 2019 and worldwide on March 31st 2020. As with the original game, Domerica co-produced the anima cutscenes.
Persona 5 Royal is currently a PlayStation 3 & 4 exclusive, although Atlus have stated they are listening to what is being said from the PC fans, although they do not have anything to announce regarding this as of yet.
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a platform-adventure Metroid Vania video game that was developed by Moon Studios and published by Xbox Game Studios for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S and Iam8bit for Nintendo Switch. The title was announced during the E3 convention in 2017, being the direct sequel to 2015’s Ori and the Blind Forest, and was released on March 11th, 2020 for Xbox One and Microsoft Windows. Nintendo Switch released a version on September 17th, 2020. The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S version are planned to be released later in 2020. The game is a 4K UHD, Xbox One X Enhanced, and Xbox Play Anywhere title.
- The game was developed by Moon Studios, a collective organization without a set location. The game’s visuals were given an overhaul from the former two-dimensional artwork in Blind Forest, to the three-dimensional models played in multi-layered backgrounds in Will of the Wisps. The game maintains narrative continuity with Blind Forest and introduces new melee combat.
- Upon release, the game received universal acclaim for the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch versions and favourable reviews for the Microsoft Windows version, with players and critics praising the game’s visuals, improved combat, elements of exploration, environments, chase sequences, and soundtrack. However, criticism was aimed at technical issues such as frame rate issues and visual bugs, which were largely resolved with a day-one patch.
- The Last of Us Part II is a 2020 action-adventure game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4. Set five years after The Last of Us (2013), the player controls two characters in a post-apocalyptic United States whose lives intertwine: Ellie, who sets out for revenge after suffering a tragedy, and Abby, a soldier who becomes involved in a conflict with a cult. This game is played from the third-person perspective. Players can use firearms, improvised weapons, and stealth to fight human enemies and cannibalistic creatures.
- Development of The Last of Us Part II began in 2014, soon after the release of The Last of Us Remastered. Neil Druckmann returned as creative director, co-writing the story with Halley Gross. The game’s themes of revenge and retribution were inspired by Druckmann’s experiences growing up in Israel. Ashley Johnson reprises her role as Ellie, while Laura Bailey was cast as Abby. Their performances included the simultaneous recording of motion and voice. The developers pushed the technical capabilities of the PlayStation 4 during development. Gustavo Santaolalla returned to compose and perform the score. Development reportedly included a crunch schedule of 12-hour workdays.
- Following some delays, partly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, The Last of Us Part II was released on June 19th, 2020. It was praised for its performances, characters, visual fidelity, and gameplay, though the narrative and the representation of a transgender character polarized critics and players. It was the subject of a review bombing on Metacritic. Part II is one of the best-selling PlayStation 4 games and the fastest-selling PlayStation 4 exclusive, selling over four million units in its release weekend.
- The Last Of Us is our favourite pick out of the Best Games 2020
- Half-Life: Alyx is a 2020 virtual reality (VR) first-person shooter developed and published by Valve. Between the events of Half-Life (1998) and Half-Life 2 (2004), players control Alyx Vance on a mission to seize a superweapon belonging to the alien Combine. Players use VR to interact with the environment and fight enemies, using “gravity gloves” to manipulate objects, similarly to the gravity gun from Half-Life 2. Traditional Half-Life elements return, such as physics puzzles, combat, exploration and survival horror aspects.
- The previous Half-Life game, Episode Two, was released in 2007. After several failed attempts to develop further Half-Life projects, Valve began experimenting with VR in the mid-2010s, recognizing the demand for a large-scale VR game. They experimented with prototypes using their various intellectual properties, such as Portal, and found that Half-Life best suited VR. Alyx entered full production using Valve’s new Source 2 engine in 2016, with the largest team in Valve’s history.
- Alyx was released for Windows on March 23rd, 2020, with support for most PC-compatible VR headsets. It received acclaim for its graphics, voice acting, narrative, and atmosphere, and was cited by some as VR’s first killer app. Valve released a Linux version in May 2020.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator (colloquially known as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020) is a flight simulator developed by Asobo Studio and published by Xbox Game Studios. This is the eleventh major entry in the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, which was first released in 1982, and preceded by Microsoft Flight Simulator X. It was released on August 18th, 2020 for Microsoft Windows. It is the first game in the series to get a console release, expected for the Xbox family in 2021.
- Flight Simulator simulates the entire Earth using textures and data from Bing Maps. Three-dimensional representations of the world’s features, such as terrain, trees, grass, buildings, and water are generated by Microsoft Azure technology. Through the use of the Azure cloud to render visuals, enhance visual fidelity, and simulate real-world data and effects, as well as calculate physics, the title has been viewed as the culmination of Microsoft’s “power of the cloud” mantra. Some players received the alpha version as part of the game’s Insider program. On July 13th, 2020, Microsoft opened up pre orders, and the PC version became available on August 18th, 2020.
- Flight Simulator was released to critical acclaim, with praise for its graphical fidelity, but criticism for its loading times and some inaccurate rendering of landmarks. Many critics considered it a technical achievement.
- Hades is a roguelike action role-playing video game developed and published by Supergiant Games. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Nintendo Switch on September 17th, 2020, which followed an early access release in December 2018.
- Players control Zagreus, the son of Hades, as he attempts to escape from Underworld to reach Mount Olympus, at times aided by gifts bestowed on him from the other Olympians. Each run challenges the player through a random series of rooms populated with enemies and rewards, and the player uses a combination of their main weapon attack, dash power, and magic ability to defeat them while avoiding damage to progress as far as possible. While Zagreus will often die, the player can use gained treasure to improve certain attributes or unlock new weapons and abilities to improve chances of escaping on subsequent runs.
- Hades was developed following Supergiant’s Pyre, a game in which they wanted to explore procedural narrative storytelling, but due to the nature of the main gameplay, found that players did not play through Pyre multiple times to explore this. The roguelike structure of Hades gave them the opportunity to tell these branching stories to the player over the course of multiple runs.
- Spelunky 2 is a 2020 platform video game developed by Mossmouth and BlitWorks. It is the sequel to Spelunky (2008) and it was released for Windows and PlayStation 4 in September 2020. The game has received positive reviews from critics.
- Like its predecessor, Spelunky 2 is a 2D platform game. In the game, the player assumes control of Ana, the daughter of the explorer from the first game, who visits the moon in order to find her missing parents. In the game, Ana must navigate deadly underground caves filled with hostile enemies and traps to collect treasures. When Ana dies, she will have to start from the beginning of the level and lose most of her items, and the level is rearranged through procedural generation to present new challenges and paths. Each stage also features several layers which can be explored by the player. New areas, such as the volcano, are introduced. The game features a new liquid physics system, in which fluid will flow naturally throughout a level. In addition, the game introduces new monsters, traps, and rideable mounts. The game also supports four-player online multiplayer, with the introduction of both cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes.
- Crusader Kings III is a grand strategy game set in the Middle Ages, developed by Paradox Development Studio and published by Paradox Interactive as a sequel to Crusader Kings (2004) and Crusader Kings II (2012). The game was first announced during PDXCon 2019 in October 2019 and was released on 1st September 2020.
- The game, like its predecessors Crusader Kings and Crusader Kings II, is a grand strategy game and dynasty simulator set in the Middle Ages, and will run from the Viking Age to the Fall of Byzantium. Unlike its predecessor, at launch, it only has two start dates: 867 and 1066. Dynasties can form cadet branches that have their own heads and act mostly independently from their parent dynasty. The heads of dynasties will be able to use a new resource known as Renown to assert their control over their house. For example, the heads of dynasties are responsible for legitimizing bastards.
- Characters have full-body, 3D-rendered character models instead of 2D portraits. As in Crusader Kings II, they have traits that affect their stats and behavior. Taking choices that go against a character’s traits will increase that character’s stress. The game’s genetics system allows characters to pass on some of their characteristics to their descendants. Characters are able to frighten their vassals into staying loyal by increasing their Dread, which increases when the character performs malevolent actions, such as executing or torturing other characters. Characters are able to select one of five lifestyles to follow. Each lifestyle has three skill trees that allow characters to enhance skills related to that lifestyle.
- F1 2020 is the official video game of the 2020 Formula 1 and Formula 2 Championships developed and published by Codemasters. It is the thirteenth title in the Formula 1 series developed by the studio and was released on July 7th 2020 for pre-orders of the Michael Schumacher Edition and July 10th 2020 for the Seventy Edition on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and, for the first time, Google Stadia. The game is the twelfth instalment in the franchise, and it features the twenty-two circuits, twenty drivers and ten teams proposed in the provisional 2020 Formula 1 World Championship.
- F1 2020 features the championship as it was originally intended to be run before the championship was disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, which saw several races postponed or cancelled, with races at other circuits held. The Schumacher edition features cars such as the Jordan 191, Benetton B194, Benetton B195, and the Ferrari F1-2000. These cars will be exclusively owned by the owners of the Schumacher edition of the game.
- Definitely a favourite out of Best Games 2020 amongst our crew here at WantedThat.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a life simulation video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch. It is the fifth main series game in the Animal Crossing series and was released on March 20th, 2020.
- In New Horizons, the player assumes the role of a customizable character who moves to a deserted island after purchasing a package from Tom Nook, a tanuki character who has appeared in every entry in the Animal Crossing series. Taking place in real-time, the player can explore the island in a nonlinear fashion, gathering and crafting items, catching insects and fish, and developing the island into a community of anthropomorphic animals.
- New Horizons received acclaim from critics, with many praising its gameplay and customization options. It sold five million digital copies in its first month, breaking the console game record for most digital units sold in a single month. It became the best-selling game in the Animal Crossing series and is the second best-selling game on the Nintendo Switch, with over 22 million copies sold. Its success has been partially attributed to it being released during the COVID-19 pandemic because more people are at home.
- Yakuza 0 is an action-adventure video game developed and published by Sega. This is the sixth main entry in the Yakuza series and a prequel to the original game. It was released for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 in Japan in March 2015, and in North America and Europe for PlayStation 4 in January 2017. It was released on Microsoft Windows on August 1st 2018 and was released on Xbox One on February 26th 2020. A free accompanying game application for PlayStation Vita, titled Ryū ga Gotoku 0: Free to Play Application for PlayStation Vita, was released in Japan in February 2015.
- The game received generally favourable reviews from critics, and is largely responsible for the franchise’s rise in popularity and for sales in the west, the series being deemed obscure beforehand.
So here are our Best Games 2020 recommendations. All video games above have been evaluated by WantedThat and we definitely think these are the Best Games 2020.
Do you agree with our Best Games 2020 list? Leave a comment below and let us know your Best Games 2020 list!
Best Games 2020